Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Evolutionary Thinking and Ubiquitous Computing

This is just a thought stub. I read a great article in the New York Times about the spate of books out recently discussing the evolutionary drive to believe in a God. The idea of being in the open plains as a prehistoric human created the need to develop a sense of forces beyond ourselves. Either you can sense what is dangerous or you're likely to be killed. There's a technical name for this and I'll update this thought stub once I review my notes. My thoughts are (and David Noble is a definite influence here) curious about how ubiquitous computing has this God-like sense about it that's rarely discussed in the ubicomp lit (i mean why would it). But the idea of computerized systems that anticipate your needs is magical, God-like, omnipotent...is this the type of world we're trying to create? A systemic sense of God built into our computerized infrastructures?

No comments: